Sunday, May 12, 2019

PETER FRAMPTON - "SHADOW OF MY MIND"

Shadow of My Mind (Peter Frampton) - 3:52 rating: ***** stars


A couple of years back a friend convinced me to go see Peter Frampton at a small, local club (The Birchmere).  I hadn't seen Frampton since I was a junior in high school (yes, I saw the "Frampton Comes Alive" tour).   I hadn't bought a Frampton album, or listened to a Frampton song in decades.   And in spite of my initial reluctance, it turned into one of the best shows I've seen in years.  

Like all of us Frampton had aged (the golden locks were hone), but he'd done so with grace and a pleasing sense of humor.  He talked to the audience and played a mix of the hits and newer material and it was just a fun evening.  I was so pleased that on the way out I bought a copy of what was then his new album "Hummingbird In a Box: Songs for a Ballet".  And that album sat on my shelves for five years.  And out of the blue I heard this song and it the lyrics seemingly describing middle aged contentment just struck a chord with me (I celebrated another birthday on April 22nd).   Add to that, one of his prettiest melodies and some dazzling slide work ...  what's not too like?

Here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty779xP5Wxk

No comments:

Post a Comment